Highway Licences

Highway Asset and Network Management issue permits and licences to allow various activities to take place on the highway. 

Highway includes:

  • carriageway - used by vehicles, such as cars, bicycles, goods vehicles, and so on.
  • footway - the walkway for pedestrians that runs next to a carriageway.
  • footpath - a walkway, bridleway or other Public Rights of Way that run between two different highways. (Please follow this link for more information on Public Rights of Way)
  • verge - typically grassed or shrubbed area next to another area of highway.  This often has services such as utility pipes running under it.
  • alleyway - generally a cobbled or tarmaced area to the rear or side of properties, used for access to properties and other highway areas.

Opening times for our office:

Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays - closed
Out of hours call us on 01782 234234. Our emergency services are available on this number.

Contact us at:
Telephone 01782 237061
Fax 01782 232471
Minicom 01782 232331
E-mail: highways.client@stoke.gov.uk

Transport Network Services

Federation Road
Stoke on Trent

Services Provided:

  • Highway licensing - skips, temporary structures, road opening licences
  • Public rights of way - definitive map, footpaths, bridleways
  • Traffic management - event support, strategic response, abnormal load routing
  • Streetworks coordination - who, why and where of works on the highway
  • Temporary traffic regulations
  • Temporary traffic lights
  • Highway closures - responsive and planned
  • Advice on highway legislative procedures


Related Files: