Within Stoke-on-Trent there are the following different types of drainage systems:

  • Public Sewers
  • Private Drains and Sewers
  • Land Drainage
  • Highway Drains

These are the five main categories of drainage system and it can often be confusing as to who is responsible for the maintenance and repair of these systems. This page will try and give guidance as to who is responsible for what. 

Public Sewers

Public Sewers are often owned by utility companies such as Severn Trent Water, property owners pay a charge to them in order for their waste to be collected and disposed of via the Severn Trent Water waste system. If there is a problem with a public sewer then it becomes the responsibility of the utility company to fix the problem.
The number for reporting problems to Severn Trent Water Ltd. is 0800 783 4444 

Private Drains and Sewers

A private drain is the section of pipe that carries the waste from a property up until it reaches the public sewers. If there is more than one property connected the private section of pipe then it becomes a private sewer. As well as connecting to the public sewer systems, private drains/sewers may also be completely private in which case the pipes would connect to a Septic tank, Cesspool, Soak away or Watercourse. As a Local Authority private drains/sewers are not covered under our maintenance and repairs. 

Highway Drains

A highway drain is a drain that is used to take water off the highway which is often referred to as surface water; this water goes into one of the road side gullies which may then connect into the public sewer system. A problem with the public sewer system can causes problems within the highway system, in these cases the Local Authority will contact the utility company and alert them of the problem.If you spot a problem with one of our road side gullies then this can be reported to us, using one of the following ways

Phone: 01782 237061
E-mail: highways.client@stoke.gov.uk

Land Drainage

Land drainage is made of a system of rivers, watercourses, ditches, culverts, pipes, lakes and ponds intended to drain water resulting from rainfall and underground sources. If a watercourse or ditch has been piped then it is known as a culverted watercourse. The land drainage system falls under two main categories which are Main Rivers and Ordinary watercourses.

If anybody wishes to carry works out on a Main River or Ordinary Watercourse then they must first seek consent from the relevant people.If you have a query regarding carrying works out on a Ordinary Watercourse you can contact us by phoning 01782 234667.

Reporting a problem

Main River

If you noticed a problem with a main river then this needs to be reported to the Environment Agency a list of contact details for them can be found below

Flooding: 0845 988 1188 (24 hour service)
Pollution and Incidents: 0800 807060
General Enquiries: 03708 506 506

Highway problems

If you notice a problem with the any of the following:

  • Ordinary Watercourses
  • Culverted Watercourse (these are surface watercourses that have been piped, usually under highways, driveways or housing developments)
  • Trash Screens and Gratings (A trash screen is placed in a waterway to prevent the passage of rubbish).
  • Lakes and Ponds
  • Gullies and Highway Drains

Then you are able to contact us in the following ways:

Phone: 01782 237061
E-mail: highways.client@stoke.gov.uk

Flooding – Emergency Response

When there is an issue in a flooding within the highway network the local authority will work to provide an emergency response which will involve things such as, Closing roads if needed, putting out flood warning signs. Operatives will also be out around the city to try and assist the areas worse affected these operatives will work on a priority basis.
You can contact us regarding Flooding and Emergency Response using the following details

Phone: 01782 237061
E-mail: highways.client@stoke.gov.uk

The Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment for Stoke-on-Trent

Stoke City Council has produced a Prelimary Flood Risk Assessment (P.F.R.A) as part of its responsibility as an upper tier lead local flood authority (L.L.F.A.).

As an L.L.F.A. the Authority was required to produce the P.F.R.A. following the Flood and Water Management Act of 2010 and the Flood Risk Regulation of 2009.

This is a Strategic Assessment of the local flood risk.

A copy of the P.F.R.A. is available to download here

For regular updates in relation to flood warnings you can follow the following people on Twitter: