Our Statement of Licensing Principles has now been adopted for 2016-2019 click here to view it
A premises licence is required for:
There are six types of premises licences:
- Casino premise licence
- Bingo premise licence
- Betting (track) premise licence - these include sporting venues, not just race tracks
- Betting (other) premise licence - bookmakers
- Adult gaming centres (for category B3, C and D gaming machines) - amusement arcades for over 18's
- Family entertainment centres (for category C and D gaming machines
There are also Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centres, which can only have category D gaming machines. Category D machines are the existing section 34(1)’s and category C gaming machines are the existing section 34 (5E)’s.
Apply for the most common permits using the following forms:
- Notification of Gaming Machines - click here for the form
- (Unlicensed) Family Entertainment Centre (UFEC) - click here for the form
- Temporary Use Notice (TUN) - click here for the form
- Club Gaming and Club Machine Permit - click here for the form
If you want to apply then please read the guidance notes, complete the application form, serve notice on the responsible authorites and advertise your application.
Lotteries and raffles
Licensing small society lotteries
If you're raising money for a charitable purpose by selling printed raffle tickets in advance of the draw date you must apply for a small society lottery registration.
It costs £20 per year to renew.
Private, work or residents' lottery
You can ‘private’, ‘work’ or ‘residents’ lottery without a registration if tickets are confined to members of a club, society or institution. You cannot sell tickets to the public at large.
No permit or registration is required if:
- No proceeds from the lottery will be used for private gain
- The lottery is only for a charitable purpose or good cause
- The promoters of the lottery will not be deducting more than £500 from the proceeds to pay for the prizes
- The promoters of the lottery will not be deducting more than £100 from the proceeds to pay for expenses.
- There will be no lottery roll over
- Tickets will only be sold during the event and on the premises where the event is being held
- The results will be made public while the event is taking place.
Hanley Town Hall
Tel: 01782 232774
- Monday 9am until 4.45pm
- Tuesday 9am until 4.45pm
- Wednesday 9am until 4.45pm
- Thursday 9am until 4.45pm
- Friday 9am until 4.15pm
- Saturday - CLOSED
- Sunday - CLOSED